Wednesday, June 24, 2009

From Needle Peak to RMNP

Austin and me contemplating "Sweet Things to do When You're Old" on the Polish Boulder.

Ashley contemplating "Into the Wild" in RMNP.

Great sessions this week. On Monday I woke up with a 4:30 AM alpine start so I could meet Davin in Laramie by 7:00. Davin, Austin, and I carpooled over to Needle Peak in Davin's jeep. With high clearance and 4-wheel drive, Davin parked just uphill from the Polish Boulder. It's a perfect boulder with a variety of classic problems including a really nice undone project. I was blown away by the problem "Sweet Things to do When You're Old." Twice I got past the crux to the last move, but couldn't get myself to go for the top. I'll definitely be heading back for it. As with all my best sessions, I was too busy climbing or spotting to do much photography. Davin took these shots and sent them to me.
Going for a hold beyond the frame on "Sweet Things to do When You're Old."

I was so worked by the Polish Boulder that I had negative progress on "The Axe." It should be better when I get back on it fresh. From "The Axe" we hiked up the hill to Davin's roof project. It looked difficult, and felt ridiculous. Davin did well on it. It'll go.
Davin working the project.

We ended the day on an undone problem that Scott and I looked at last fall. It uses a line of three nice holds over a roof before escaping to the left. Coming out the roof off the left side pull feels very committing despite the fact that it isn't too high. Eventually I got myself to go for it, and just barely got my first Needle Peak first ascent. I named it "Question of Trust."

As we loaded the pads into the jeep we noticed a bunch of Bryan's shell casings in the back. Davin commented "That's Wyoming."

The rock, problems, and atmosphere of Needle Peak continue to impress me. Thanks for showing me around Davin, and I hope we can get out again soon.

RMNP was the destination on Tuesday.


With general directions for the "Into the Wild" boulder I dropped off my stuff at Nymph lake, and scouted a vast area until I eventually found it. I ran back, and lead Ashley and the girls to it. "Into the Wild" has some really wide moves that didn't suite Ashley well. She really liked "Outta Season" though. A nice traversing line just to the left.
She did it a couple times for photos and video. I was too worked from Needle to even try it. My shoes were left in the car.




Today, Ashley was at a teaching conference in Denver. I took the girls to the Wild Basin Boulder, and sent "The Pinch Problem." I tried it after doing the "Slot Problem" a couple weeks ago, and thought it felt possible for me this year. The humidity was high, but I discovered new beta using a high left foot that made it just doable. As I finished the session, it began to rain. A common occurrence this summer.

No comments: