Wednesday, July 27, 2011

20 Days on the Road: Lost Horse Canyon

Ashley climbing "Cruiser Traverse."
We just got back from a 20 day road trip. It was a good trip, and it's good to be home. Over the next few days, I'll be posting about each area we visited. Our first stop was Lost Horse Canyon, Montana, and we really liked it. It has free camping, and great rock, unlike anything I've climbed on before. Incredibly solid granite/gneiss, covered with horizontal seams, and climbable features. Many smooth faces, and a texture I found geologically puzzling.

Our first climbing day of the trip, and after spending a full day in the car to get there, we climbed all we could. We got on 19 problems at the Roadside and Motherload areas. Ashley sent 18, and I was able to finish 16. With so much climbing, I didn't get many photos. We spent about a third of our day at the "Super Rad Boulder," and I managed to get some shots.

Climbing the "Dope Show Traverse."
I agree with the boulder's name. Perfect height and fantastic features, unfortunately scarred by someone's bonfire.
Ashley climbing "Zulu Death Mask." A perfect line up the blackened rock.



Each year, a Lost Horse Climbing Festival is held on the second Saturday in September. This year it will be on September 10th. We won't be able to make it, but I support the Bitterroot Climbers Coalition's cause, and appreciate the bouldering guide on their website. Get there if you can. It looks like a fun event.

I was impressed by the dramatic scenery, high quality stone, and accessibility of the Bitterroot Mountains. Hoping to get back, I bought a copy of Rick Torre's Bitterroot Bouldering Guide at a shop in Missoula. Missoula is a fun town. Scenic, and hip, with all types of outdoor pursuits. It even has surfing!
Next stop Leavenworth, WA.

No comments: