Saturday, July 20, 2013

Returning to the Source

Tom, Devlin, Ana, Justin, Lindsey, and Marc all joined us for a session at the Rock Shop today.  And I believe that we might have set the record for the most bouldering pads ever used under a single boulder in the state of Wyoming!  We had good conditions for warming up on the Paralysis wall, but unfortunately the day got way too hot after that.  I hate bouldering in the heat.  Hands sweat, skin fails, and worst of all I lose all interest in trying hard.  We attempted Nexus in full sun, and it was so difficult!  None of us even reached the lip.  We went to the UFO area next, and Tom sent "First Contact?"  We did a recently cleaned V1 near the UFO boulder, and repeated a few things, but as far as sending new problems went, it was a very rough day.  It was still a lot of fun to be outside, and hang out with everybody though.

Last week Ashley was out of town for a class, and she took the truck with her.  I couldn't get my car and the girls up to the Rock Shop or into Devil's Kitchen, so I went to the Source for a couple early morning sessions.  I spent one session at Source South, and the other at the Tombstone Formation.  It had been a couple years since I'd climbed at these spots, and I was pleasantly surprised.  Conditions were pretty good, and the problems have cleaned up nicely.  They are better than I remembered, and somewhat easier.  Here's a short video of two problems I highly recommend up there.  Arrive before nine for a couple hours of cool temps on shaded faces.

No comments: